[gdal-dev] WCS GetCoverage with AxisOrder swap

Peter Baumann p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
Wed Nov 8 15:13:39 PST 2017

On 11/08/2017 10:01 PM, Ari Jolma wrote:

> Even Rouault kirjoitti 08.11.2017 klo 17:31:
>
>> On mercredi 8 novembre 2017 15:50:48 CET Piero Campalani wrote:
>>

>> > This order is what can be referred to in the GridFunction: +1 --> first
>>
>> > GRID axis, +2 --> second GRID axis, etc.
>>

> Ok, this tells me that the axisOrder attribute in sequenceRule determines how
> to consider the GridEnvelope and the order of the offsetVectors in the Grid
> element.

the axisLabels attribute determines axis order, and this in turn refers to the
CRS definition behind the URL in srsName.
SequenceRule / GridFunction is just for the internal linearization (whose
description depends, ie: interprets axis order) - and BTW only applies to GML
(and JSON and RDF), not necessarily to binary encodings which usually determine
their own internal structure.

My team has analysed your report and says:

On 11/08/2017 02:56 PM, Bang Pham Huu wrote:

> I checked the result as I think it is like this
>
> + GeoServer is correct with http://www.opengis.net/def/crs/EPSG/0/2393 as this
> one is X, Y so the offset vector is correct.
>
> offsetVector1: X (positive), Y (negative)
>
> offsetVector2: Y (negative), X (positive)
>
> + Rasdaman is also correct with http://ows.rasdaman.org/def/crs/EPSG/0/4326
> (Lat, Long) so the offset vector is correct.
>
> offsetVector1: Y (negative), X (positive)
>
> offsetVector2: X (positive), Y (negative)
>
> and with a CRS with X, Y order like
> http://www.opengis.net/def/crs/EPSG/0/3857, Rasdaman returns offset vector
> with correct order, e.g from a 2D coverage imported with this CRS:
>
> <offsetVectorsrsName="http://localhost:8080/def/crs/EPSG/0/3857">23613.2868316
> 0</offsetVector>
> <offsetVectorsrsName="http://localhost:8080/def/crs/EPSG/0/3857">0
> -23613.2868316</offsetVector>
>
> + Mapserver is not correct for http://www.opengis.net/def/crs/EPSG/0/4326 (it
> should be as same as Rasdaman).

-Peter

>>  And thus MapServer output at
>>
>> http://194.66.252.155/cgi-bin/BGS_EMODnet_bathymetry/ows?SERVICE=WCS&REQUEST=DescribeCoverage&version=2.0.1&coverageid=BGS_EMODNET_CentralMed-MCol
>>
>> could probably be correct, but it would be better for
>> RectifiedGrid.axisLabels to be changed to "long lat" to better
>>
>> reflect what is done.
>>

> At least it fixes the driver for MapServer in this case (no hack options
> needed) since it does not define the axisOrder.
>
>> And GeoServer output at
>> https://msp.smartsea.fmi.fi/geoserver/wcs?SERVICE=WCS&REQUEST=DescribeCoverage&VERSION=2.0.1&COVERAGEID=smartsea__eusm2016-EPSG2393
>>
>> would either need to remove the GridFunction (ala MapServer) or keep it and
>> invert the order in which its offsetVector appear (ala Rasdaman)
>>

> Invert the offsetVector order *and* invert the axis in GridEnvelope (otherwise
> the size is wrong).
>

>> And for WCS subsetting, when you write something like SUBSET=AXIS_NAME(min,max),
>>
>> where AXIS_NAME should come from ? From the RectifiedGrid.axisLabels I guess ?
>>
>> (to be opposed to CoverageDescription.boundedBy.Envelope at axisLabels)
>>
>> Then in Ari's test with GeoServer
>>
>> https://msp.smartsea.fmi.fi/geoserver/wcs?SERVICE=WCS&REQUEST=DescribeCoverage&VERSION=2.0.1&COVERAGEID=smartsea__eusm2016-EPSG2393,
>> in theory "i" and "j" should be the axis requested ?
>>

> That does not work -- it's good that they are different since that shows it is
> not ok (invalid axis label error). Maybe the logic is related to the axis
> names? It's hard to tell since I don't find the logic in the GeoServer source
> code.
>
> Ari

Dr. Peter Baumann
   mail: p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
   tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
   www.rasdaman.com, mail: baumann at rasdaman.com
"Si forte in alienas manus oberraverit hec peregrina epistola incertis ventis dimissa, sed Deo commendata, precamur ut ei reddatur cui soli destinata, nec preripiat quisquam non sibi parata." (mail disclaimer, AD 1083)