[gdal-dev] vsicurl configuration design decisions

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Oct 9 19:29:18 PDT 2017

Sean,

The obvious answer is that interfaces that are organized around the
dataset name do not make it easy to transport other parameters in a
way that is specific to one dataset.

While I worry a bit about complex dataset syntaxes I do think there is
a power to embedding these options in the dataset name.  I sometimes
wish we had a more generalized way of wrapping options into dataset
names with clear escaping rules, and a way to avoid interference
between different levels of wrapping and virtualization.

I would add that I requested a mechanism to control /vsicurl/ retry
strategies as we this machinery widely and failure to do "normal
retries" in /vsicurl was a problem for us.

Best regards,
Frank