[gdal-dev] git(hub) migration ?

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Mon Sep 25 01:01:06 PDT 2017

On Wed, Sep 06, 2017 at 03:14:26PM +0200, Even Rouault wrote:

> 1) migrate to git, and remain within the OSGeo infrastructure. This is for example the case of
> GEOS which uses the Trac git plugin and the GOGS (or is gitea?) git hosting (https://
> git.osgeo.org/gogs/geos/geos.git).

It is still Gogs.
The plan is to switch to Gitea (http://gitea.io) but I hadn't
found the time to do that yet, and nobody seems to be really
interested in that (github bought all mindshares!)

> gogs/gitea tries to replicate most github functionalities,
> but feature parity is still not there (you cannot comment on a commit e.g).

There's also a GitLab experimental service under OSGeo:
https://git.osgeo.org/gitea
It does provide comment on commits and CI.
Currently maintained by Björn (in Cc).

> the "Merge" button from github couldn't (shouldn't) be used.

This seems to be about the only issue making full switch to GitHub
preferred over a simple mirror. I don't know if you're aware but
there's a command line github client (it's called "hub") which
lets you do things like this:

  git hub merge https://github.com/osgeo/gdal/pull/12

It's surely more typing than clicking a button, but if you already
prefer command line it could make the button need go away...

--strk;