[gdal-dev] Recommended OGR Driver For Very Large Vector Data

Benjamin Stadin Benjamin.Stadin at heidelberg-mobil.com
Tue Aug 7 14:35:17 PDT 2018

Geopackage is not very space efficient, due to the required compatibility with the spec and the „ST*“ methods matching their postgres counterparts. Check the header which is carried over for each geometry:
https://github.com/opengeospatial/geopackage/blob/master/spec/2a_features.adoc

For an example, the  version and SRS is already defined as part of the meta table, but still need to be part of each and every geometry due to technical details.

We do have a proprietary indexed vector tile format which I‘m considering to open source. Though the interest has been rather low in the past to justify putting effort into it. It works like a tile pyramid, using same zoom levels as OSM, but it is projection independent using midpoints of geometries to store vector data into a sinusoidal grid. The grid is used as the tile pyramid storage, the actual projection used by the geometries does not matter other than a projection step between loading and visualization is required. Large line strings like roads are split when writing the data to the storage tiles, and connected dynamically at load time when loading the tiles. Polygons are not split, you‘ll always get a full polygon when querying the tile store (there is additional complexity though for implementing the loading mechanism,into a client app, because it also deals with overlapping polygons. E.g. you could have tiles 1,2,3 in direct „sight“ but the loading mechanism might have to load a tile 5 which overlaps tile 2, which is known as part of the meta info in tile 2).
Storing polygons of different levels of detail for different zoom levels is of course supported. The geometries are wkb-like, but more close to GeoJson (with properties / tags). The storage format for the tiles is described as Google FlatBuffer.

Ben