[gdal-dev] Recommended OGR Driver For Very Large Vector Data

Patrick Young patrick.mckendree.young at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 13:36:45 PDT 2018

Yeah it's not the geopackage format but that the polygons are just huge,
sorry about that.  There is ~1000 polygons but each one is a ton of
vertices (~100k), so zoomed out the redraw takes a little while (seconds).
This is true with fileGBD too, which feels slower than the gpkg FWIW.  In
practice we have a simplified version of the data we usually deal with and
that is plenty fast.

I guess the dream is a format that has "overviews" but for vector data.
Maybe gpkg already supports this idea? I haven't really dug into either
format, so apologies for my naivety.