[gdal-dev] Offsets in url of geotiff

Guy Doulberg guyd at satellogic.com
Wed Aug 22 23:29:27 PDT 2018

Hi

I want to share with you an idea I had,

I am storing rasters as cloud optimized GeoTiff, these rasters can cover
very big areas.

I was thinking it could be super, if I could share a link to my colleagues
of a raster with the offset they need encoded in the raster.

for example:

url = "/vsicur/http://location/#srcwin=(xoff,yoff,szie,ysize)"

if you will execute

gdalinfo url

you will get the same info to the output raster of

gdal_translate -srcwin xoff yoff xsize ysize

using that url you will be able to execute any gdal command that run on a
raster, and using the cog gdal will read only the relevant data.

That could be very useful for me, cause then I could decouple easily the
raster I store on my cloudstorage and the raster I share.

WDYT?
Guy