[gdal-dev] Support for S-100 and S-102

kusala nine kusala9 at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 30 03:27:28 PDT 2018

The biggest work item for S-100 compatibility would be an update to the
GDAL/OGR drivers for iso8211 in order to parse the S-101 iso8211 encoding.
S-101 is the candidate replacement for S-57 ENC data - so, at some point
all of NOAA's S-57 marine data will be available as S-101 datasets too.
There's various improvements in S-101 over the old S-57 standard including
dynamic feature catalogues and complex attributes on features but the main
issue is that the iso8211 encoding uses concatenated iso8211 data
structures (where you can have repeated field/subfields concatenated with
simple (i.e non-repeating ones)). The current GDAL I believe doesn't parse
these correctly so can't be used to parse S-101 data. I am invovled with
the IHO team developing the standard but the main data format/spec and
encoding are all pretty much done and there are converters/datasets
available if anyone is able to take on the work - not sure if there's NOAA
funding for it? It would be a huge step forward in the rollout to have an
open source parser for this data....

Jonathan.