[gdal-dev] Support for S-100 and S-102

kusala nine kusala9 at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 30 08:38:07 PDT 2018

ah - the situation you're describing is subtly different. That's when you
have two 8211 fields concatenated together, so e.g the DSID/DSSI are
concatenated into a single 8211 record at the head of a standard S-57 ENC.

What I'm talking about is when a single 8211 field has repeating subfield
groups. So, for instance in an S-101 ENC the "Information Association field
" (INAS) has the specifier (in the record DDR)

*RRNM!RRID!NIAC!NARC!IUIN\\*NATC!ATIX!PAIX!ATIN!ATVL*

which represents a single set of RRNM,RRID,NIAC,NARC,IUIN subfields
followed by a set of potentially repeating NATC,PAIX,ATIN,ATVL fields.
These types of subfield specifiers simply don't exist in S-57 ENCs
(although I believe there are isolated examples in the S-57 defence
extension AML). And, of course fields are still concatenated togehter. The
good news is that the whole iso8211 layer is much better documented in the
S-101 spec and these specifiers make a lot more sense than the original
S-57 document. the issue I was describing is that records with these
repeating subfields aren't parsable with the current ogr based GDAL
libraries (I think, at least they weren't the last time I tried it).  Hope
that explains it better.... :-)