[gdal-dev] Motion: adopt RFC 72: Run tests with pytest

Kurt Schwehr schwehr at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 13:59:40 PST 2018

+1 Kurt

Awesome!! It's great to see that my work in
https://github.com/schwehr/gdal-autotest2/tree/master/python is obsolete.

Some very minor suggestions:

- "Support testing under Python 2 & Python 3 (2.7+)" Move the (2.7+) to be
with Python 2.
- Mention that Fiona and Rasterio also use pytest
- Add the word "existing" so it's obvious right off that the first example
is not new. "A typical GDAL python unit test:" -> "A typical existing GDAL
python unit test:"
- Consider including an example with a float comparison.  Those drive me
nuts in the old style and I want to make sure people know about how to do
that with pytest
  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8560131/pytest-assert-almost-equal
- Can you give a rough comparison of how long the existing and new styles
take to run.  A quick spot check says that they are pretty close with only
1604 looking to get worrisome.  Are there any things that could be listed
where people contribute that might speed up the testing?
- Is there a way for folks with large machines / cloud instances to run the
tests quicker without a lot of fiddling?
- I'm not a fan of GH and PR abbreviations.  Since this is on trac, it
would be worth being more verbose

http://schwehr.org