[gdal-dev] Motion: adopt RFC 72: Run tests with pytest

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Sat Dec 8 14:42:49 PST 2018

Hi,

PyTest is a great test-suite.

If I may make one suggestion as someone who has used it for a while -
it's worth spending a little thought on coming up with a scheme for
test-ids. Especially if you're going to use parameterisation.

Otherwise PyTest comes up with names that may be accurate (they're a
concatenation of the parameters), but are relatively meaningless. For
example "gdaladdo--100", "gdaladdo-foo", etc, as compared to more useful
ids like "gdaladdo-too-low-input", "gdaladdo-bad-string-input" which
tell you immediately what the test is actually meant to be testing.

There's a hook called pytest_make_parametrize_id which allows you to
create your own ids (I find the built-in methods of id generation either
cumbersome, or bit-rot prone).

I'm suggesting it now because it's more helpful if you do it from the start.

Cheers,

Jonathan