[gdal-dev] /vsicurl caching behavior

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Jan 5 04:59:49 PST 2018

> OK, I understand now the VSICachedFile lifecycle and it makes sense. But
> then the disk cache should not be used at all for files in
> the CPL_VSIL_CURL_NON_CACHED variable.

Indeed. The cache disk code hasn't been touched/tested in years, and
CPL_VSIL_CURL_NON_CACHED was added afterwards.

> I'll try to find some happy hacking time (or client funding, ideally) to
> improve the disk caching. What is the official GDAL procedure for PRs? I
> see a few in the github repo, but the doc says the source is located in SVN.

The master is still in SVN (we will likely switch to full github workflow at some point) but
contributions being sent as pull request against the github mirror make it easier for the
person reviewing & merging them.

Even