[gdal-dev] python 2.7 bindings with trunk (2.3)

Gregory, Matthew matt.gregory at oregonstate.edu
Fri Jan 5 09:51:26 PST 2018

Hi all,

I'm sure to show my ignorance here, but I've been periodically building both the 2.2 and trunk branches on Windows using MSVC for Python 2.7 (as I think the compiler version needs to match how Python itself was built [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]).  With the recent update in trunk requiring C++11, MSVC for Python 2.7 now errors out:

  c:\foss4g\gdal_trunk\gdal\port\cpl_port.h(187) : fatal error C1189:
    #error :  Must have C++11 or newer.

Is there a way to compile the GDAL python bindings with still using MSVC for Python 2.7 -or- if I update to MSVC 14, can I still build bindings that will work with 2.7?

Sorry if I've missed discussion around this topic.  I reviewed RFC 68, but didn't see any reference to this issue.

thanks, matt