[gdal-dev] symbol lookup error in libgdal.so.20 on conda through windows subsystem for linux

Sam Franklin mr.samfranklin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 03:50:36 PST 2018

Hey List. Sorry to disturb. I came across this symbol error when trying to
use several gdal binaries within a conda environment on the Windows 10
Subsystem for Linux. Looks like possible linking error which I can't seem
to resolve.

### The error

$ gdalinfo
gdalinfo: symbol lookup error:
/home/sam/anaconda2/envs/py36/bin/../lib/libgdal.so.20:
undefined symbol: _ZN11xercesc_3_211InputSource11setEncodingEPKt

$ gdal_translate --version
gdal_translate: symbol lookup error:
/home/sam/anaconda2/envs/py36/bin/../lib/libgdal.so.20: undefined symbol:
_ZN11xercesc_3_211InputSource11setEncodingEPKt

### my environment

I set up a clean conda python 3.6 environment with:
$ conda create --name py36 python=3.6
$ conda install -c conda-forge gdal

$ conda list
gdal                      2.2.3                    py36_0    conda-forge
libgdal                   2.2.3                         3    conda-forge

$ conda info
active environment : py36
conda version : 4.4.7
platform : linux-64

## Other useful info:
$ gdal-config --libs
-L/home/sam/anaconda2/envs/py36/lib -lgdal

$ gdal-config --cflags
-I/home/sam/anaconda2/envs/py36/include

I got round this by simply running conda on windows 10 which does not
encounter the above symbol error.

Thought I'd let the list know and if anyone had any ideas on how to resolve?

Thanks in advance.

---
Sam Franklin