[gdal-dev] Reading remote jp2k files

Matt Hanson matt.a.hanson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 07:52:16 PDT 2018

Hello,

I'm having trouble reading JP2K files remotely. I originally ran into this
problem when trying to use remote Sentinel-2 files as input to the GDAL
Warp API in C++. It works when I use a local version of the file.

I'm not sure if this is supported behavior, I thought it was, but to test I
tried gdal_translate on a remote file, and one with the local file.

$ gdal_translate
https://sentinel-s2-l1c.s3.amazonaws.com/tiles/32/T/QR/2018/1/21/0/B04.jp2
sentinel-test-remote.tif -f GTiff
$ gdal_translate B03.jp2 sentinel-test-local.tif -f GTiff

The local file works fine, but when using the remote file gdal_translate
just crashes with no error message.

I'm using GDAL 2.3.1 with openjpeg 2.3, I'm using a docker image
developmentseed/geolambda:1.0.0 and you can see the Dockerfile here:

https://github.com/developmentseed/geolambda/blob/master/Dockerfile

Is this supported behavior, should I be able to read these files remotely,
and do windowed reads on them?

matt