[gdal-dev] [GRASS-dev] PROJ 5 support in trunk

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 12:21:02 PDT 2018

There is an important difference between the PROJ4 and the PROJ5+
API/syntax:

The old PROJ4 API uses latlong WGS84 as pivot datum for coordinate
transformations like

projection1 -> latlong WGS84 -> projection2
or in '+to' syntax
projection1 +to projection2

The new PROJ5+ API no longer uses a pivot datum. The advantage is that you
can directly convert from one datum to another, without going through
WGS84. The disadvantage is that the user/software using the new API has to
make sure that either a common pivot datum is used or coordinates are
correctly transformed from one datum to another, e.g. with a Helmert
Transform.

Both GDAL and GRASS have implemented the new API as a simple 2-step
pipeline like

1. projection1 -> some latlong
2. some latlong -> projection2

or in pipeline syntax

+proj=pipeline
+step +inv projection1
+step projection2

Even Rouault has done some tests and found sometimes subtle differences in
the results between the old and new API/syntax. Further on, there is no
mechanism (yet) in place to validate the pipeline, most importantly that
the output of step 1 conforms to the required input for step 2.

IMHO, the implementation of the new PROJ5+ API/syntax in GDAL and GRASS
should be regarded as experimental and testing by as many people as
possible would be a huge benefit to PROJ/GDAL/GRASS and to all applications
using these projects.

Markus M