[osgeo4w-dev] proj 5 update?

Kristian Evers kreve at sdfe.dk
Sun Mar 25 13:32:32 PDT 2018

> On 25 Mar 2018, at 21:15, Helmut Kudrnovsky <hellik at web.de> wrote:
>
> Kristian Evers-2 wrote
>> There’s already a ticket for this:
>> https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/558
>>
>> The bug you are referring to is not fixed in PROJ 5.0.0 so an update will
>> not really help you in that regard. Best option for that is to use 4.9.3.
>> bug fix release is on its way though, so when that is out it should be
>> safe
>> to update the OSGeo4W PROJ package and have it as the default.
>>
>> /Kristian
>
> for the record, GRASS trunk is PROJ 5 ready:

Very cool! I wasn’t aware of that.

> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-user/2018-March/078023.html
>
> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-commit/2018-March/043391.html
> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-commit/2018-March/043408.html
>
> Log:
> libproj: +new GRASS API for coordinate transformation
>
> this isn't backported to the 7.4.-release branch, not sure it will ever be.
>
> so it could be that GRASS 7.4.-release branch has to live with 4.9.3 for a
> while.

The API from PROJ 4 lives on in PROJ 5, so GRASS 7.4 should be able to use
PROJ 5 as well. We’ve been carefull not to breaking anything with this release.
That comes with PROJ 6 and 7. Of course there might be implementation details
in GRASS that I am unaware of that makes using PROJ 5 impossible.