[gdal-dev] Reading S-63

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Oct 22 03:41:48 PDT 2018

Lars,

> We would like to add support for reading S-63 data in one system but from
> what we found when googling is that GDAL does not support this format. We
> would like to verify that GDAL does not support S-63?

No, it doesn't.

> Is possible / viable
> to add support for S-63 in GDAL?

Technically, it should be possible to develop a S-63 reader in GDAL.

But I doubt that your S-63 data reseller would then accept to provide you with
the PERMITS.TXT file (the decryption key), in that case since that would allow
you to create a un-encrypted version of that data, which would likely violate
the agreement you have with him.

See http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/fwtools/2005-March/thread.html for
related discussion

Even