[gdal-dev] Restoring functions removed in 2.5 beta1

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sun Apr 21 15:09:06 PDT 2019

Sean,

> The Fiona and Rasterio projects won't build with the pre-release because,
> for better or worse, they reference and use OSRFixup, which has been
> removed. I've filed issue #1466 about this.
>
> Yes, we can add shims to Fiona and Rasterio so we can support versions
> 2.0-2.5, but this does nothing for software that's already installed on
> computers. If a no-op version of OSRFixup were restored to GDAL 2.5, these
> projects and previously installed versions of them would likely work just
> fine with 2.5.

I'm not so sure restoring the functions is enough. This might give a false
impression. More testing & other changes will generally be needed because of
all the revamp that has done in that area of SRS functionnality, like changes
in axis order.

The removal was also documented when RFC 73 was approved a few months ago
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc73_proj6_wkt2_srsbarn

We could have perhaps actually called the version 3.0.

> I'd be happy to do the work, once I find the commit where the function was
> removed.

in mega-commit 8e5eeb35bf76390e3134a4ea7076dab7d478ea0e

Even