[gdal-dev] GDAL 2.5.0 RC1 is available

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Apr 26 08:38:59 PDT 2019

Hi,

I've issued a release candidate for GDAL 2.5.0.

Nothing really significant since beta1.

The source is available at:

    http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/2.5.0/gdal-2.5.0rc1.tar.xz
    http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/2.5.0/gdal-2.5.0rc1.tar.gz
    http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/2.5.0/gdal250rc1.zip

A snapshot of the Python autotest suite can be downloaded from:

    http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/2.5.0/gdalautotest-2.5.0rc1.tar.gz
    http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/2.5.0/gdalautotest-2.5.0rc1.zip

The GDAL-GRASS plugin hasn't changed since beta1 :

    http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/2.5.0/gdal-grass-2.5.0.tar.gz

Snapshot of the documentation :

    http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/2.5.0/gdal250doc.zip

The NEWS page has been updated:

   https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/Release/2.5.0-News

~~~~~

I'll call for a vote to promote it to final middle of next week if nothing
serious is reported before.

A release/2.5 branch has been created. All 2.5 bugfixes should go there and in
master. master is now open for 2.6.0dev

~~~~~

I've pushed a few Docker tags with RC1 (and PROJ master)
osgeo/gdal:
	alpine-ultrasmall-v2.5.0RC1
	alpine-small-v2.5.0RC1
	alpine-normal-v2.5.0RC1
	ubuntu-small-v2.5.0RC1
	ubuntu-full-v2.5.0RC1

I've improved the layering strategy, so, once you get a new base version,
pulling should only fetch at most 30 MBs if only GDAL changes, even for the
largest images.

~~~~~

Remainder:
GDAL 2.5.0 *requires* PROJ >= 6.0, and if using external libgeotiff,
libgeotiff >= 1.5.0
In case you didn't follow recent developments, a revamp has been done in the
area of coordinate reference systems, which may impact downstream users & code
of GDAL. Consult
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/master/gdal/MIGRATION_GUIDE.TXT
and
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc73_proj6_wkt2_srsbarn