[gdal-dev] TAR POSIX support

Schindler, Fabian fabian.schindler at eox.at
Wed Aug 21 01:29:35 PDT 2019

Hi list,

We have a large archive of images which are stored in POSIX TAR format
(POSIX.1-2001 (pax)). GDAL seems to be unable to open these files (GDAL
2.4.0). Unfortunately, re-packing these files in GNU format (which GDAL
seems to be happy with) is not an option.

We also tried with the latest Docker image (alpine-small-latest, GDAL
3.1.0dev-3c44aef0f367d0439d42f5384896fc7899317f06), but the same issue
persists: the GNU tar is opened without issues, the POSIX one fails.

Is it confirmed that GDAL does not have support for that TAR POSIX format?
How much effort would it be to add support for that format?

Regards,
Fabian