[gdal-dev] Refreshing GDAL's logo

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Dec 19 02:26:23 PST 2019

Hi Mathieu,

Thanks for working on this. I added my comment on github.

I do like the logo a lot - my only problem is that I personally, would
associate this particular logo draft more with "proj" than with "gdal".

To me it represents a compass (Zirkel in german) - and that was in the
pre-computer age more used to do projections than file formats.

I guess the earth shape is fine, but maybe the compass could be styled
in a way to make it look more like a satellite? E.g. it could have a
smaller angle/fov than the current version that covers the whole earth?

Just some thoughts - thanks again for working on it.

Andreas

On 2019-12-19 10:41, Mathieu Pellerin wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> As some of you might have spotted on GDAL's github account, I have spent some time coming up with a refreshed GDAL logo proposal.
>
> The draft's second iteration can be seen here: https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues/2117 - thanks to Even's initial comment on the first iteration, the second draft looks great! :)
>
> The proposed draft logo is IMHO a nice modernized evolution from GDAL's current logo: a simplified representation of earth (the curved green line) under a simplified satellite (or compass) floating over it.
>
> IMHO, the logo professionalizes GDAL's first look when someone lands on www.gdal.org [1], on wikipedia's gdal page, etc. As superficial as first impressions are, it remains important.
>
> On top of the arguably subjective "looking better" argument, it has several objective benefits:
>
> - It nicely scales down to a 32px icon size quite nicely (see examples provided in the github issue linked to above)
>
> - Being simple and in vector format, it makes it much easier to come up with side products, i.e. the "mug test" attached in the gitthub issue ;) this logo would likely stand well as a round sticker, printed on a shirt, etc.  which is always useful during hackfests.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Mathieu

Links:
------