[gdal-dev] grib driver

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Feb 28 08:19:00 PST 2019

On jeudi 28 février 2019 10:55:00 CET Zhan Zhang - NOAA Affiliate wrote:
> May I ask whether gdal grib driver support changing grid in a GRIB2
> message? For instance, given a GRIB2 message, I want to change from polar
> stereographic grid projection to lambert conformal grid projection, and the
> data section need also be changed accordingly, and then output this to a
> new GRIB2 message. I ask MDL degrib group and they tell me degrib can not
> do this. It sound that it is likely gdal grib driver cannot do this either.
> However I am not 100% sure and want to seek some comments here. Thanks!

Degrib itself cannot do this, but raster reprojection is a generic function of
GDAL, so you can do this with the gdalwarp utility:
https://gdal.org/gdalwarp.html

Something like:

gdalwarp -of GRIB in.grb2 out.grb2 -t_srs "+proj=lcc +lat_1=... +lat_2=...
+R=....."

You may also consult the GRIB driver documentation for GRIB specific creation
https://gdal.org/frmt_grib.html

Even