[gdal-dev] Fwd: Add overviews there is a difference between interleave

Guy Doulberg guyd at satellogic.com
Tue Jan 8 07:21:43 PST 2019

Hi guys

I am trying to fix artifacts that the gdaladdo is creating in the overview
I am working on.

The gdal version I am working with is 2.3.2

In general I have a big vrt file (RGB) on top of COGs with internal masks.
There are places in the original rasters that we mask the values.

But when building overviews it seems like that the masked values in some
layers are used, and artifacts are being created.

I was trying to play with many variant to understand these artifacts
creation, the only variant I noticed to have an impact is the INTERLEAVE of
the overviews,

When I set it to PIXEL it runs fast but creates artifacts
When I set it to BAND it runs 3 times longer and there are less artifacts
created.

So far my understanding of the INTERLEAVE configuration was that it affects
the final products block arrangement, I don't understand why it affects the
product values, and the processing time as well

I hope that I am clear enough

Thanks