[gdal-dev] Geoserver/gdal: large tif with multiple overviews - bug + workaround

Idan Miara idan at miara.com
Mon Jan 14 02:00:27 PST 2019

Hi,

Due to the following bug:
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/5067
When I need to make multiple overviews for a large tiff I use the suggested
workaround (making tif.ovr, tif.ovr.ovr, tif.ovr.ovr.ovr etc...).
This workaround works well for applications that use gdal (i.e. QGIS) but
Geoserver's internal GeoTiff reader ignores the multiple ovr files (I
assume it reads only the tif+tif.ovr files) thus the performance for this
map is very bad.

Workaround I found: I use the gdal-geoserver plugin and then create a
trivial vrt for the tif and load it in Geoserver with the gdal plugin.
I needed to make a VRT because as far as I can tell Geoserver doesn't
register the GeoTiff format with gdal when the plugin is installed but
still uses the internal GeoTiff reader).

A few questions:
1. Is there a plan to solve that very old gdaladdo bug? (I didn't check
with recent gdal versions but it still not marked as resolved as in 6 years)
2. Is it possible to make Geoserver recognize ovr.ovr files?
3. Can I make geoserver use the gdal plugin for GeoTiff files to avoid the
trivial vrt file ?

Kind regards,
Idan