[gdal-dev] Connecting to MSSQL from linux using OGR?

Wardrop TomW at msc.qld.gov.au
Mon Jul 1 18:54:41 PDT 2019

Hi All,

I'm trying to connect a MSSQL database using ogrinfo and ogr2ogr, but am not
having any success. Most of the examples I see online assume you're
connecting from a Windows. I'm trying to connect from OpenSUSE. Here's what
I've been trying:

ogrinfo
"MSSQL:server=sql12.msc.local\MSSQLSERVER;database=GIS;UID=sa;PWD=<blanked>;"

That results in:

FAILURE:
Unable to open datasource
`MSSQL:server=sql12.msc.local\MSSQLSERVER;database=GIS;UID=sa;PWD=<blanked>;'
with the following drivers.
  -> JP2ECW
  -> OCI
  -> SOSI
  -> ...

I've tried specifying various "drivers" by appending for example
";driver=FreeTDS". The error is always the same, and returns instantly. It's
like the connection string isn't even making it to the MSSQLSpatial OGR
driver. Is this even meant to work on linux? I'm at a complete loss.