[gdal-dev] GMLAS driver - identification of geometry columns.

kusala nine kusala9 at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 25 23:45:17 PDT 2019

hi Even, thanks for the quick reply - seems to make sense and chimes with
what we've found - certainly in the short term I think we can use
gml:PointProperty to get us where we want to go.... The Marine S-100 model
adds an association to an information type into the geometry primitive by
extension - not a mechanism we're actualyl using in the Application Schema
we're creating right now but conceivably it could be a sticking point for
both marine users within the S-100 GML Profile and possibly other users
where a profile of GML is constructuced which is then used to create
multiple sub-products (not sure if INSPIRE ever went down this route tho).
So... alternatives could be to allow the gml namespace to be aliased by a
configuraiton optjon in gmlasconf.xml or to identify gml:[primitive] or any
extension of those primitves as geometry to the identified OGRFeature -
that's more structural though and would need the applciation schema driver
to look at the derivation of each of the elements in the schema....
thoughts? I'll also check with the S-100 folks in charge of the S-100 PArt
10b where the profile is and see if we can come up with an agreed proposal
at least....

cheers,

JP