[gdal-dev] GDAL linked against CFITSIO on debian/ubuntu

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 13 08:33:00 PDT 2019

On 6/13/19 5:05 PM, Chiara Marmo wrote:
> I'm checking different OS and distributions for GDAL link against CFITSIO. I was pretty sure that Ubuntu and Debian allow the use of CFITSIO but apparently Ubuntu 18.04 does not...
> I've found a "--with-cifitsio=no" in the debian versioning system [1].... but I can't test debian right now.
The rules file is pretty clear, I'd say. The feature is not enabled.

If you look at the changelog you'll find why it was disabled:

 gdal (1.4.1-5) unstable; urgency=low

   * libcfitsio3 library is now GPL on Debian, so disabled due to
     incompatibility with GDAL copyright.
     (closes: #422537)

The linked bugreport has more backgrounds:

 https://bugs.debian.org/422537

> On Fedora the gdal package checks for the presence of CFITSIO and links against it if found.

Fedora is not very strict about license & copyright issues.

> Is someone in this list close to debian/ubuntu packagers?

Doesn't get any closer than this. ;-)

> Am I wrong?

No.

Kind Regards,