[gdal-dev] [SeasonOfDocs] Offers for GDAL documenting

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Jun 17 05:43:27 PDT 2019

Hi,

this is really great news ! Given my experience with the project, I'm rather
far from being representative of someone less familiar with it or with a non-
developer profile, so thoughts from the broader GDAL community on what they
feel is the most missing would be welcome.

One thing I've in mind - this is rather a detail - is that we lost a bit of
content (build requirements for each driver) during the Sphinx migration, as
pointed out by
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues/1204#issuecomment-498624481 , so this
could be a potential task.

More generally, I feel we might need more tutorial-like / how-to style
documentation. The current documentation is hopefully rather decent as a
reference guide, but lacking on the quick-start side. On the wiki, there are
some source of information, mostly from
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/UserDocs , that could be interesting to
migrate partly on the main documentation, but with a critical eye (some of the
hints might be outdated due to later improvements, etc)

Lynden, perhaps you've also suggestions from your practice of the project and
its documentation on what you'd like to see added ?

Even