[gdal-dev] GDAL VRT with Cloud Optimized GeoTIFFs and AWS

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Mar 4 12:43:30 PST 2019

On dimanche 3 mars 2019 01:58:08 CET Jeremy Palmer wrote:
> I've now found this useful Mapserver wiki page
> https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/wiki/Render-images-straight-out-of-S3
> -with-the-vsicurl-driver. It seems to imply that it's better to merge a
> collection of dataset tiles into a single big Geotiff rather than create a
> VRT due to the repeated HTTP calls. I'm still interested in people's
> experiences using imagery direct from S3 and it's performance.

Jeremy,

A gigantic TIFF will have rather big TileOffset and TileByteCount arrays, but
probably less big than a VRT referencing TIFF tiles. If MapServer rendering is
the final use case, I bet though that a MapServer tileindex (created with
gdaltindex) referencing /vsis3/ files might be rather convenient & have good
performance.

Even