[gdal-dev] Check of sibling files when opening an image file

Armin Burger armin.burger at gmx.net
Thu Mar 21 11:54:04 PDT 2019

On 21/03/2019 19:09, Even Rouault wrote:
> On jeudi 21 mars 2019 18:34:11 CET Armin Burger wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> When gdal opens a file, it checks for various sibling files, like *.MTL,
>> *.aux.xml, *.RPC, etc (this is the case when the full directory scanning
>> is deactivated). This can be ~30 stat or open requests when opening a
>> single image file. Is there a way to define the file types that gdal
>> checks for their existence, thus allowing to reduce this to the pure
>> minimum, like *.ovr files only? Is this check driver dependent?
>
> If using /vsicurl/ and derived file systems, you can use
> CPL_VSIL_CURL_ALLOWED_EXTENSIONS=".tif,.ovr" for example
>
> Even

Hi Even

Thanks, but we're using a POSIX file system (mounted via FUSE client),
so I assume this will not work then.

It would also be fine for us to reduce the number of extensions at
compile time by modifying configuration or source code files. But so far
I haven't found any appearances in the source code files for file
extensions that are obviously by default checked for their existence,
like e.g. "RPC.TXT". So any hints if/how this is possible would be great.

Cheers
Armin