[gdal-dev] Lame question, but failing to build GDAL 3.0.0RC2 against Proj 6.0.0

Simon Eves simon.eves at omnisci.com
Tue May 7 14:14:01 PDT 2019

I have never had trouble with this before, most recently Proj 5.2 and GDAL
2.4.1, but the same build workflow doesn't work with the newest stuff...

I have a complete build of Proj 6.0.0 from a default ./configure (although
to a local --prefix)

I then do our standard ./configure of GDAL 3.0.0RC2...

--without-geos --with-kml=<known good KML install> --with-proj=<local Proj
install>

The build works all the way up to and including lib-target, and I see the
.a and .so and related symlinks in the .libs subdir.

It's apps-target that falls over. Every app build fails when linking
against libgdal.so with "undefined reference" against a bunch (perhaps all)
of "proj_<blah>" symbols.

config.log and make.log attached.

I am undoubtedly doing something stupid, but I can't see what! :(

This is on Ubuntu 18.04 with GCC 7.4.0

I saw http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/BuildingOnUnixGDAL25dev but I don't
think it applies any more.

The <local Proj install> path is in $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

--
<http://www.omnisci.com/>
Simon Eves

Email: simon.eves at omnisci.com | Cell:  415.902.1996