[gdal-dev] Motion: Promote GDAL 3.0.0 rc2 for release

Robert Coup robert.coup at koordinates.com
Wed May 8 02:55:44 PDT 2019

Hi all,

On Tue, 7 May 2019 at 10:19, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
wrote:

> Motion: GDAL/OGR 3.0.0 rc2 is promoted to be the official 3.0.0 final
> release.

(I'm not a PSC member)

1. I agree with bumping to 3.0 with the significant changes

2. If we're bumping a major version, shouldn't we take that opportunity to
swap some other backwards-incompatible defaults rather than wait for
several more years to do it? Off the top of my head I'm thinking things
like:

   - Python's UseExceptions() defaulting to true
   - Python's object lifecycle management (I guess in theory this can be
   fixed in a compatible way?)
   - GeoJSON defaulting to 2008 instead of RFC7946
   - I'm sure there's a pile of others.

Feels like 3.0 has been chosen for good reasons, but without stepping back
to go "what other longstanding warts do we want to address at 3.0?". I
don't know if there's a major rush on to get a release out in time for some
cutoff date? Otherwise I suggest we take an opportunity to step back and
swap some odd defaults that have been hanging around for years for
compatibility.

Cheers,

Rob :)

--