[gdal-dev] Motion: Promote GDAL 3.0.0 rc2 for release

Robert Coup robert.coup at koordinates.com
Wed May 8 03:58:27 PDT 2019

Hi Jukka,

On Wed, 8 May 2019 at 11:26, jratike80 <jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi>
wrote:

> Even answered in a mail on Thu May 2 00:43:37 PDT 2019:
>
> "Well, I was about *releasing* the version, and don't intend to postpone
> it
> significantly, so no there won't be any surprise last-minute changes than
> the
> ones already documented in MIGRATION_GUIDE.TXT. After all, major version
> numbers are cheap, so if during the next dev cycle 3.1dev turns out to
> need
> API breaks, it will be 4.0 ..."

Sure, numbers are cheap, but requiring users to stop & take the time to
work through their codebases to check for and address a set of incompatible
changes are the opposite — I don't think we want to be continually doing
that.

For us at least, GDAL minor X.Y -> X.Y+1 upgrades are relatively
straightforward: read the changelog, review things that look possibly
problematic, reapply any patches we still need, build, run our test suites,
QA, stage through to release.

I'm not majorly hung up on it, just something I wanted people to consider

Rob :)