[gdal-dev] Building GDAL 3.0.0 with Proj 6.0.0

joshl josh at cesium.com
Mon May 20 11:18:59 PDT 2019

Looking at the solution on
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/BuildingOnUnixGDAL25dev

I was only able to build proj 6 as a static library. There was an error when
I tried to use --enable-shared=yes:
 -Wl,libproj.so.15 -o .libs/libproj.so.15.1.0
/usr/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu-ld:
/home/loshjawrence/clonesRedo/agi-asset-pipeline/build/lib/libsqlite3.a(sqlite3.c.o):
relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against symbol `sqlite3_free' can not be used when
making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

I tried adding -fPIC to the export CXXFLAGS= command before running the proj
configure script but that didn't resolve the error generated during make -j4

I also tried continuing on with the static prog library (without doing those
other renaming and patchelf commands) but kept getting the same errors about
gdal's configure script not being able to find proj.

Is a shared proj libarary required for this to work?