[gdal-dev] Does /vsis3 work for HDF4?

James McClain jmcclain at azavea.com
Mon May 20 12:35:35 PDT 2019

Hello,

I don't believe that it does currently.

Originally, support for HDF5 and NetCDF both used the cpl_userfaultfd
mechanism
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/master/gdal/port/cpl_userfaultfd.cpp).
The thing that prevented HDF4 from using that mechanism was that its
underlying library did not have the ability to operate on a block of memory
(the cpl_userfaultfd provides a user-mode page fault handler that fills
pages on demand using the VSI mechanism).

It is my recollection that a more direct method was found for HDF5 so that
it no longer uses cpl_userfaultfd; perhaps a similarly more direct
mechanism exists in HDF4?  I do not know whether it does or does not.

Sincerely,
James McClain

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 2:45 PM Joe Lee <hyoklee at hdfgroup.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I have a quick question.
>   I know that /vsis3 work for HDF5.
>
>   How about HDF4?
>   Does /vsis3 also work for HDF4?
>
>   Regards,

James McClain
Software Developer
Azavea  |  990 Spring Garden Street, 5th Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19123