[gdal-dev] YAML, AppVeyor and the perks of continuous integration (Re: Willing to Pay for Help Building GDAL 3 on WIndows)

Raphael Das Gupta raphael.das.gupta at hsr.ch
Tue May 28 05:48:41 PDT 2019

On 28.05.19 06:29, CDelancy wrote:
> Unfortunately, I had never heard of a .yml file before your post and I would
> not know what to do with what you have linked. My attempts to research it
> haven't yielded anything useful.
.yml is one of the file extensions for the text-based YAML
data-serialization language <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YAML>. (The
other one being .yaml)

It is usually used for configuration files of various kinds that have to
be parsed by software but should also be as readable as possible for humans.

AppVeyor <https://www.appveyor.com/> is a continuous integration
service, that is, it can be made to automatically build software from
source and/or to execute linting and other checks or functional tests on
it. Because the steps needed differ from one software project to
another, they need to be configurable. That configuration is done in YAML.

The GDAL and PROJ.4 projects also seems to use that service. And as the
builds there are known to work (they run regularly and people get
notified when they break and will usually try to fix them ASAP), the
steps as configured in the respective YAML files are worth trying when
you try to build them yourself.

Because the YAML syntax is inspired by well-known and easy-to-comprehend
conventions (similar e.g. to how bullet lists are represented in
plaintext emails or other plaintext documents), you don't even need to
really know the YAML file format to understand most of the configuration
content. (I.e., understand what the build steps are command-wise. What
each step does in detail or when and why it is needed might of course
need more knowledge to understand.)

Good luck and kind regards,
Raphael