[gdal-dev] GDAL 2 + PROJ 6 does not work

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sun Nov 3 13:42:54 PST 2019

On dimanche 3 novembre 2019 21:20:56 CET Markus Metz wrote:
> Hopefully some package maintainers are listening.
>
> A CRS constructed from a proj string (deprecated in GDAL 3 + PROJ 6, I
> know), works either in PROJ 6 or in GDAL 2, but not in both. The reason is
> that for PROJ 6, "+type=crs" is needed, but unfortunately GDAL 2 does not
> recognize this parameter and subsequently can not create a CRS from a proj
> string containing "+type=crs".

For the sake of my curiousity, can you explain exactly how you go into
problems ?
The only quirk I found on quick tests with GDAL 2.4 + PROJ 6 is when using the
now deprecated "+init=epsg:XXXX" syntax

$ gdalsrsinfo "+init=epsg:4326"

proj_create: init=epsg:/init=IGNF: syntax not supported in non-PROJ4 emulation
mode

And autotest/osr pass, except one corner test.

> Therefore I recommend to not package GDAL 2 with PROJ 6.

Indeed, GDAL 2 is best used with PROJ 5.2.