[gdal-dev] GDAL 2 + PROJ 6 does not work

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 12:21:28 PST 2019

On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 10:42 PM Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
wrote:

> On dimanche 3 novembre 2019 21:20:56 CET Markus Metz wrote:
> > Hopefully some package maintainers are listening.
> >
> > A CRS constructed from a proj string (deprecated in GDAL 3 + PROJ 6, I
> > know), works either in PROJ 6 or in GDAL 2, but not in both. The reason
is
> > that for PROJ 6, "+type=crs" is needed, but unfortunately GDAL 2 does
not
> > recognize this parameter and subsequently can not create a CRS from a
proj
> > string containing "+type=crs".
>
> For the sake of my curiousity, can you explain exactly how you go into
> problems ?
> The only quirk I found on quick tests with GDAL 2.4 + PROJ 6 is when
using the
> now deprecated "+init=epsg:XXXX" syntax

I tried gdalinfo (GDAL 2.4.2 + PROJ 6.2.1) on a raster with a CRS that does
not contain an authority code, and it failed to find any CRS. Recompiling
with configure --with-proj5-api=no solved the problem for me. That makes
sense to me because the new PROJ API produces quite different results when
used on PROJ5 or PROJ6.

I have seen the combination of GDAL 2 + PROJ 6 on Debian and it might occur
also on EPEL for RHEL 8.

> Indeed, GDAL 2 is best used with PROJ 5.2.

And if I want to use PROJ 6 + GDAL, I should use GDAL 3, right?