[gdal-dev] GDAL/OGR 3.0.2 is released

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Nov 4 06:43:55 PST 2019

On Mon, 4 Nov 2019 at 15:17, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:
> On lundi 4 novembre 2019 14:56:04 CET Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> > On Mon, 4 Nov 2019 at 13:33, jratike80
> >
> > <jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi> wrote:
> > > Release notes are in trac and therefore the ticket numbers are now
> > > pointing
> > > to the old trac issues as well and not to GitHub. Example:
> > > https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/1710
> >
> > I'm also wondering Trac is still being used.
> > Aren't the in-repo notes sufficient?
> > https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/release/3.0/gdal/NEWS
>
> That might be sufficient indeed. What we loose currently is the clickability
> to the ticket. Unfortunaltely just switching it to markdown doesn't make #XXX
> to point automatically to the issues #XXX

What about integrating the notes within the documentation?

1. Add doc/source/release_notes.rst

------------------
Release Notes

.. include:: ../../NEWS.rst

2. Convert top-level NEWS into NEWS.rst

I'm investigating similar approach for another project I maintain,
and technically level this seems reasonable approach.

Similar can be possible with NEWS.md in Markdown,
but using directive is different, I think,
https://stackoverflow.com/a/46286751/151641

Just an idea for simplification, perhaps.