[gdal-dev] Source pixels used when warping using cubic resampling

Gregory, Matthew matt.gregory at oregonstate.edu
Fri Nov 15 10:00:16 PST 2019

Hi again,

My apologies for bumping this thread, but this issue is still impacting my workflow.  I'd be happy to post rasters demonstrating this if it would be useful.

thanks, matt

-----------------------

Hi all,

I am warping and upsampling an image from 4km to 30m using cubic resampling.  I've been warping different sized windows from the source image like this:

# Larger window
gdalwarp
  -t_srs EPSG:5070
  -te -2303985 2406015 -2033985 2649015
  -tr 30 30
  -of GTiff
  -r cubic
  in.vrt
  out.tif

# Single line of above window
gdalwarp
  -t_srs EPSG:5070
  -te -2303985 2648985 -2033985 2649015
  -tr 30 30
  -of GTiff
  -r cubic
  in.vrt
  line.tif

Naively, my expectation was that the overlap region would have identical values, but they don't.  I assume this means that the source (4km) pixels are being subset down to a smaller window before warping in the latter case that don't necessarily include the same 16 nearest pixels as in the first case?  I had a brief look through the Warp API tutorial and it looks like it may have something to do with the GDALSuggestedWarpOutput, but I didn't dig too deeply there.

Is there a recommended workflow if you want to warp and resample destination rasters by blocks rather than the full extent at once?

Thanks for advice,
matt