[gdal-dev] Read-write random access not supported for /vsizip

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Oct 8 02:56:52 PDT 2019

On mardi 8 octobre 2019 10:43:16 CEST Blaise de Carné wrote:
> Hi there !
>
> (GDAL 2.4.2)
>
> I try to access a distant zipped shapefile, with depth in zip :
> http://atom.geo-ide.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/atomArchive/GetResource?id
> =df7fcd18-3d01-4cff-83db-a8281d25d630&dataType=dataset
>
> ogrinfo /vsizip/{/vsicurl/
> http://atom.geo-ide.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/atomArchive/GetResource\?i
> d\=df7fcd18-3d01-4cff-83db-a8281d25d630\&dataType\=dataset}/dataset
>
> Gives me that error :
>
> ERROR 1: Read-write random access not supported for /vsizip

ogrinfo tries first in read-write mode and then in read-only mode. But the
first error emitted is the one that matters:

$ ogrinfo -ro "/vsizip/{/vsicurl/http://atom.geo-ide.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/atomArchive/GetResource?id=df7fcd18-3d01-4cff-83db-a8281d25d630&dataType=dataset}/dataset"
ERROR 1: Range downloading not supported by this server!
ERROR 1: Range downloading not supported by this server!

So that means you cannot get partial reads in this zip file. It must be first
locally downloaded (likely because it isn't a static ressource on server side
and the server has to generate it on-demand)

Even