[gdal-dev] Adding The DWG Driver to ogr2ogr?

Brandon Biggs brandon.biggs at ski.org
Wed Oct 16 08:43:26 PDT 2019

Hello Even,
It makes sense that the driver is proprietary, but the documentation page:
https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/dwg.html
AutoCAD DWG — GDAL documentation<https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/dwg.html>
DWG_INLINE_BLOCKS¶. The default behavior is for block references to be expanded with the geometry of the block they reference. However, if the DWG_INLINE_BLOCKS configuration option is set to the value FALSE, then the behavior is different as described here.
gdal.org
makes no mention of this fact.
Sadly, I am working with some clients who only use dwg, and I need the data in json, and autoCad doesn't use GDAL, so can't export to json.
The work-around I have found is to ask the client to export the file as dxf, but it has been extremely difficult to get them to give me dxf files, and I don't know if the dxf is trimming information.
I would rather pay for a driver to convert gdal files to json than pay for autoCad, especially since autoCad would only be used to convert files.

What is the process for including the gdal driver in the build? Is there a newbie tutorial on how to build gdal from source?
Thank you,

Brandon Biggs<https://www.ski.org/users/brandon-biggs>
Engineer

Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Institute