[gdal-dev] Adding The DWG Driver to ogr2ogr?

Robert Coup robert.coup at koordinates.com
Mon Oct 21 00:57:41 PDT 2019

HI Brandon,

On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 at 17:34, Brandon Biggs <brandon.biggs at ski.org> wrote:

> When you say "built against the Open Design Alliance Teiga library", what
> does that mean? Do they have their own dll that needs to be included, or do
> they have their own set of tools that need to be used to build gdal from
> source?

The ODA Teigha library is distributed as a mix of source and pre-compiled
binary components. When you build GDAL with the --with-teigha= flag, it'll
find the parts it needs. Note that you need the components for the
compiler/platform/architecture you are using (eg. gcc4.8 + linux + x64),
which constrains your choices somewhat to those they distribute.

My impression is there aren't that many users of the Teigha+GDAL
integration, so there may be some build configuration changes required to
match newer Teigha releases (eg. the last relevant changes on the GDAL side
were in 2017).

Start here: https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/BuildHints

> I found:
> https://www.opendesign.com/guestfiles/oda_file_converter
> Which converts from dwg to dxf, then gdal can convert dxf to whatever I
> need.

You can certainly try it, and if it works for you that might be easier.
Though there may be some differences — DWG has a lot of complexities.

Cheers,

Rob :)