[gdal-dev] ogr2ogr shp

jratike80 jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Wed Sep 4 06:52:33 PDT 2019

The original shapefile specification
https://www.esri.com/library/whitepapers/pdfs/shapefile.pdf informs about
filenames:
"All letters in a file name are in lower case on operating systems with case
sensitive file names."

I think that it makes sense that GDAL converts the non-standard names of
shapefiles into lower case layer names. You can override that by running
ogr2ogr with the -nln (new layer name) option. You can write a script that
reads the filename and inserts it literally as a value of -nln. Ogr2ogr
cannot do that automatically for you.

You probably know that an identifier having mixed case letters in its name
is so called "demited identifier" and you must use double quotes around the
name in the SQL queries but if you have a reason for that it is your choise.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

paul.malm wrote