[gdal-dev] Gdal and large tile sets

Kurt Williams kcwill2 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 12:46:08 PDT 2020

Hi,

I'm using gdal to reproject a set of web-mercator tiles to
Quadralateralized-Spherified-Cube (QSC) for displaying data like LandSat on
a 3D globe.

With some difficulty, I got this working. My work flow is:
1 - georeference the tiles using translate
2 - build a vrt from the georeferenced tiles.
3 - use gdalwarp to reproject (this yields 6 large tif files, one for each
face of the cube).
4 - use gdal2tiles to dice up the resulting files into tiles.

My question is: how do I approach this with a very large tile set? (level 4
tiles result in almost 3GB tifs)

One idea is to use the -te parameter to limit the extent of the output of
warp so that the output is in smaller chunks, then build another vrt to
pass to gdal2tiles.
This approach would only work if warp uses the extent to limit the files
that it reads, otherwise I'll run out of memory.

Is there are better way?

Kurt