[gdal-dev] Support info about GDAL 1.11.2

Andrew C Aitchison andrew at aitchison.me.uk
Fri Aug 28 07:34:02 PDT 2020

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020, N, Usha (Nokia - IN/Bangalore) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are using  Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.4 (Maipo).
>
> As part of EPEL repo, we are getting gdal-1.11.2-1.x86_64.rpm and
> gdal-1.11.4-3.el7.x86_64.rpm . Out of these, we are using
> gdal-1.11.2
>
> We would like to know if GDAL 1.11.2 has reached EOL..

GDAL-1.11.5 was the last 1. version
I think any fixes for gdal v1 would only go in 1.11.5,
but I believe that is EOL.

> If yes, please let us know which is the stable latest release which you
> would recommend us to use.

Tricky.

RHEL7 is older than most linux distributors would support (released Nov 2017)
but has several years of life remaining; full support until 31 May 2021
and free maintenance support until June 2024
(paid support for maybe another 4 years after that).

GDAL v2 is still supported, but distributions like Ubuntu 20.04
(which has long term support) currently have GDAL v3.
GDAL v3 uses a newer version of the proj library than v2 did.
Many users will notice this change.

Latest GDAL versions are v2.4.4 and v3.1.2; there isn't really a "stable"
release - if you want bleeding edge you go to the master source, otherwise
use the latest release of v2 or v3 - barring important bug fixes which
merit a 0.0.1 release, a n.m release is current for a year.

If you had asked about RHEL 8 I would have recommended GDAL v3;
for RHEL7 I struggle to choose between v2 and v3.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison					Kendal, UK
 			andrew at aitchison.me.uk