[gdal-dev] gdal.open won't read short format

Tom Dror-Schwartz tom.drorschwartz at weizmann.ac.il
Sun Aug 30 07:02:36 PDT 2020

Hello,
I'm trying to remap a layer from a NETCDF file (Cloud top height) from its native geostationary projection to a simple lat-lon projection, using gdal through python. I was successful so far, until the data format was changed from "Byte" to "short". Now the gdal.open command combined with .ReadAsArray returns the data only filled with the fill value.

I can't seem to convert the NETCFD file from short to byte, and would appreciate any help on how to tackle this issue.
** I tried to use gdal_translate in the command line, but I guess I didn't get the right syntax.

Thanks,
Tom