[gdal-dev] Geotransform for non-North-up images?

G Seiffert hh1 at posteo.de
Mon Dec 21 03:24:30 PST 2020

Hi all from GDLA.

Thanks for the opportunity to as a question. It's regarding the
Geotransform
Tutorial(https://gdal.org/tutorials/geotransforms_tut.html). Tried to
get info in the web but since this seems a tricky one, my searches failed.

The tutorial only deals with the ideal case of 'North up' images, for
which GT(2) and GT(4) are zero. However, my images are 'East up' and
potentially 'any direction up' (underwater photomosaic surveys by ROV).
The rotation works with '90' for GT(2, 4). But the scaling seems
completely ignored. Any hint? If it would be easy, I assume your
tutorial would give an example for how to deal with "non-N-up' images,
but ...

My pics are 1920x1080, with pixel resolution of 0.0015 (yes, 0.15cm per
pixel, we're flying just 3m above the bottom).

In case I rotate the images prior to geotransform (in Photoshop),
geotransform works perfect, with GT(2, 4) = 0. Scaling spot on. I can
live with that for our last survey but I'm also looking for a solution
in case our survey heading cannot be 0, 90, 180, or 270, but has to be
something like 35° (due to bottom currents etc.).

Best regards, any hint qappreciated,
Gerhard