[gdal-dev] Compositing of overlapping sources with mask/alpha band in VRT

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Dec 18 10:08:49 PST 2020

Hi,

Just wanted to mention a new capability of the VRT driver
(https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/3303) to take into account the mask band
of a source to determine which pixels must be taken into account. This is a
generalization of the <NODATA> mechanism to the mask band concept. This can
work with internal/external mask bands, and with alpha band too, with the
limitation for the later that it will interpret any non-0 value as fully
opaque (no alpha blending)

I was hesitating a bit if that new capability should be implicit or explicit.
I decided for explicit, to be consistent with the existing NODATA mechanism.
That said, if you create the VRT with gdalbuildvrt, it will default to using
the new feature and adding the required <UseMaskBand>true</UseMaskBand>
element.

Even