[gdal-dev] Issue with gdalcompare.py and Proj 8

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Dec 18 04:37:09 PST 2020

Jukka,

> The proj.db in Proj version 8 (installed with OSGeo4W) is a bit different
> than it used to be and therefore gdalcompare.py fails with this error:
>
> ERROR 1: PROJ: proj_create_from_database: SQLite error on SELECT name,
> coordinate_system_auth_name, coordinate_system_code,
> geodetic_crs_auth_name, geodetic_crs_code, conversion_auth_name,
> conversion_code, area_of_use_auth_name, area_of_use_code, text_definition,
> deprecated FROM projected_crs WHERE auth_name = ? AND code = ?: no such
> column: area_of_use_auth_name
>
> There seems to be a few fields which are not present in the new version of
> the projected_crs table: scope, area_of_use_auth_name, area_of_use_code.
>
> I believe that the proj.db is as it should for Proj 8 and gdalcompare needs
> a fix but I am not quite sure. The code that builds proj.db is in
> PROJ/build_db.py at master * OSGeo/PROJ
> (github.com)<https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/blob/master/scripts/build_db.py>
> .

This smells like a misconfiguration of your OSGeo4W environment. You're likely
using a PROJ < 8 library with a proj.db from PROJ 7.2 or 8. Check PROJ_LIB

https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/search?q=area_of_use_auth_name shows there's no
longer any occurence of area_of_use_auth_name in PROJ master

GDAL does not directly issue SQL requests on proj.db. It hardly knows about
its existence. This is done by the PROJ.

Even